Saturday 28 January 2012

Decision made!

Well, after some months of deliberation, I have finally decided on my new boat. After owning a few boats in the past, the most recent a Boomerang 22. Circumstances meant that the Boomer has moved on, and I'm now living in a small unit with a single garage.

The options to alleviate my lack of marine mobility were limited primarily by the lack of space to store a trailer boat, and the lack of funds for a moored boat (Very expensive mooring fees). Also, living in a backwards state (Queensland, Australia), meant that a public mooring was affordable, but completely unfeasible. Why? Because it's the public service catch 22. Our beloved, completely-divorced-from-the-real-world public servants expect you to have a registered boat before you can get a public mooring. The kicker is that the waiting list is measured in years. So, they expect you to anchor your boat somewhere, and then move it every three days for 10 years until a mooring becomes available. Halfwits......

Anyway, the most convenient option was looking to be an inflatable boat and outboard. They are not too expensive from some of the 'online auction' website  (I am not advertising for the bastards!) sellers, but the drawbacks were durability and no sailing option. 

Well, after much Googling and researching, I found a two part dinghy with a sail option called the Pollywog. The site is here http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/09/designs/polywog/index.htm.

Check it out. I ordered the dinghy plans, and whilst checking them out, I received an email from Ken the designer offering the plans for the mast and sail for free. Excellent value i thought! 



So, I have printed the plans, and have started the cleaning the shed out. Yes, it 's full of tools and stuff, so I need to get that all sorted first. But the enthusiasm is there, and so is the boy like excitement at the thought of being back on the water.

Stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. Project Materials: Hi Shane, I see you have run into the cost barrier, as many of us do. The use of Titebond 3 is not imperative, but the glue used should be a good quality waterproof wood glue. I am sure there is one available to you for much less cost. As for the plywood, I do recommend a water resistant type be used, and that generally means that it is exterior rated. Beyond that, it is up to the builder to make the right decision. I cannot offer much regarding the fiberglasssing of the bottom, because that too is a personal process. Some want it, others need it, and it is a costly and tedious operation. The end result, however, would give the boat the protection I am sure you desire. Continued good luck with the project, and keep asking questions. Regards, Ken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the support Ken!

    Whilst this is the first boat that I've built, I've owned a few before and know that BOAT stands for Bring Out Another Thousand!

    It's the price gouging that's frustrating. When I went to the US, the Aussie dollar was buying US73c, and the prices there were still incredible!

    Anyway, the final shed tidying should be finished this weekend and all going well, plywood ordered ready for next weekend. I was thinking of perhaps starting with the mast, as that's pretty easy.

    Thanks,
    Shane

    ReplyDelete