Monday 6 February 2012

Prices in Australia

Well, I have been doing the costings / ring-around for prices in preparation for buying raw materials. Holy crap, batman. Considering we have the strongest currency that we have had in a long time, prices here are ridiculous.


Ken makes mention of the total cost of plywood coming in at under USD$100. Well, here in Brisvegas, a single sheet of 6mm is around AUD$45! And that's not the good stuff.


A further shock came when I looked at the 'Titebond III' adhesive specified in the manual. Well, in the US it's $67 for TWO Gallons (7.5 Litres to English speaking people). The supplier here in Australia is asking AUD$59 for half of that. Talk about price gouging. Whilst I prefer to support the local bloke, if they're going to try to screw me, then stuff you CARBATEC. I'll buy it online. 


I shudder to think what the fibreglass (notice the correct spelling, my American friends?) is going to cost. Does anyone in QLD or Australia know of where to source epoxy resin and cloth from at a fair price? The plan is to fibreglass the entire bottom of the boat, and I don't want to buy the piddly little retail packs. Please help!


I have finally finished the job application process for the new job, so next weekend should be hopefully free of complications. With that in mind, I am planning on starting construction this weekend! Wish me luck!



No comments:

Post a Comment